The feminized seeds are those that only give rise to female plants genetically, i.e., they are cannabis seeds whose chromosomes are exclusively female (XX). Read more
What are feminized seeds?
These seeds are obtained when, by means of special treatments, a female plant is forced to produce male flowers, which turns it into a hermaphrodite plant. It is this plant that will subsequently produce seeds with XX chromosomes, the female ones.
The cannabis plants have the ability to produce flowers of the opposite sex under certain circumstances as a survival mechanism, as a way of self-fertilising so that the species can continue to survive. It can also occur when the plant suffers from stress as a result of temperature changes, irregularities in light cycles, lack or excess of hydration, etc.
Only feminised seeds develop the female plants that produce buds rich in cannabinoids such as THC and CBD.
They are perfect for beginner growers with little experience or simply for growers looking for a quick harvest that doesn't need too much care.
Why choose feminized seeds?
The female plants are the ones that produce the beautiful dense and resinous flowers that every grower and/or consumer loves.
The feminized cannabis seeds are the most demanded and used by the vast majority of cannabis growers due to their ease of cultivation.
Advantages of growing feminized seeds
- Very abundant harvests: the female cannabis plants are the ones that produce the rich buds when flowering. When growing feminized seeds you are 100% assured of a great harvest for your use and enjoyment.
- They are very stable: with this type of seed, which has been treated and selected exclusively to produce female plants, you reduce the risk of hermaphrodites.
- Peace of mind in the harvest: don't worry about male pollinating plants that can spoil your harvest, with feminised seeds there is no such risk.
Disadvantages of growing feminized seeds
Be careful not to stress them: any marijuana plant is sensitive to sudden changes in the environment, this causes the plant to become stressed and may show male flowers or bananas, be careful with this or you will lose the harvest!
How are feminized seeds created?
To obtain the feminized seeds we take advantage of the incredible quality that marijuana plants have, the sense of survival.
In order to bring out this quality in plants, it will be necessary to subject them to controlled stress. This is achieved by altering temperature, nutrition, photoperiods or pH. Many plants are already genetically predisposed to hermaphroditism, so not all varieties need the same level of stress.
Stressed female marijuana plants develop, as a survival method, organs of the opposite sex, i.e. they become hermaphrodites in order to reproduce themselves.
In a short period of time, the feminized seedswhich guarantee the production of 100% female plants.
There is another method for producing this type of seed, using a silver thiosulphate solution.
Female plants are sprayed with a combination of distilled water, silver nitrate and sodium thiosulphate to inhibit the action of ethylene, resulting in male pollen sacs instead of female calyxes and pistils. You should know that you may not consume any of the plants you spray..
How are feminized seeds grown?
If you want to achieve the best harvests thanks to the feminized seedsthese are our Positronics Tips:
- Make sure they have enough space: note that marijuana plants can grow up to two metres tall, and some strains also grow very vigorously in width.
- La hidratación es muy importante: if you are going to growing feminized marijuana seeds, pay attention to water, prevent your plant from drying out and keep it hydrated, but don't drown it!
- Use white pots and hydroponic systems: this will keep the roots of the plants cooler and ensure that you maintain good water and nutrient levels.
- Humidity always above 60%: this will give you a good growing and flowering period, but pay attention to aeration, as insufficient aeration can lead to fungus.
- Temperature between 20-22°C: very high temperatures are detrimental to the development of marijuana plants, so we recommend that you maintain this room temperature.
- Try supplying them with nitrogen: the best way for your plants to grow and develop correctly is to provide them with nutrients through nitrogen, control the levels and don't overdo it!
- Beware of intruders: beware of any signs that your plants are infected. Pests are very common and can destroy your future crop if you don't use preventive measures quickly.